I haven’t had much of an appetite the last week, which means: little food and no energy. Today, however, it returned with a vengeance and now I want to eat all the food. So I started with pancakes. Not just any plain old, boring pancakes. These were vanilla protein pancakes made with cottage cheese and topped with a sweet, creamy, lemon cream cheese topping. They were delicious. Although, not filling enough for me; which isn’t a bad thing. I honestly have no idea how people can eat a low-calorie diet all the time; I feel like death warmed up and I have bigger bags under my eyes than an insomniac. The low-calorie life just isn’t for me. Give me all the calories or, in this case – pancakes
What I noticed when eating these pancakes was how similar they tasted to a Victoria sponge and when topped with the sweet, lemon cream cheese; the taste reminded me of a lemon meringue. I mean who’s going to complain about that? Not me that’s for sure. I swear I could hear a choir of angels with my first mouthful. They were fabulous, even if I do say so myself.
Although, if you’re lactose intolerant or just simply don’t like cream cheese you could still eat these pancakes and enjoy them plain or you could even top them with warm berries and grated lemon zest. Now that does sound good.
Yield – 6/7 Pancakes.
- 3 Free Range Egg Whites
- 100ml Semi Skimmed milk/Almond Milk
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Flour
- 1/3 Cup Fat-Free Cottage Cheese
- 1/4 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder or Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder ( I used nutrition)
- 1 tsp Coconut oil (for cooking)
Sweet, Lemon Cream Cheese Topping
- 3 tbsp Reduced fat or Full-Fat, Plain Soft Cheese ( I used full-fat)
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Lemon Rind
- Stevia (to taste)
- Place the milk in a jug with the apple cider vinegar and warm in the microwave for 1 minute. You will need to keep an eye on the milk as it may rise and spill. When the buttermilk has warmed add the baking powder and stir.
- Next, separate the egg whites from the yolks or if you’re posh; spoon the whites from the carton into a food processor along with the; coconut flour, vanilla protein powder and buttermilk, then process until the pancake batter is smooth. Now you can add the cottage cheese and pulse until the mixture is almost smooth.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or cast iron skillet with the coconut oil and cook your pancakes on both sides until they’re golden brown.
- When your pancakes are cooking, combine all the sweet, lemon cream cheese ingredients into a container; when the pancakes are cooked top them with this and you’re done.
Enjoy and if you do make any of my recipes be sure to tag me on Instagram: Happy.Hungry.Healthy. Hashtag: #TheHungryWelshGirl. I would really love to see what your creations.
The Hungry Welsh Girl.