I’m the type of person who buys a lot of sugary food such as; chocolate, biscuits, etc. And then I store it all in a box and that’s where it stay’s until I want them, which is rarely ever. I mean don’t get me wrong I eat chocolate in moderation, all you have to do is to go and look at my Instagram account and you will see, but I would rather eat wholesome foods than chocolate and biscuits all the time, which is why I have a lot hanging around and quickly expiring. These pistachios were a perfect example; I bought them about a year ago and found them last night at the bottom of my flexible eating box and lo and behold their date was due to expire next month.
At first I thought I’d use them to make pistachio butter because that’s hard to come by and expensive when you do, then I thought they would be great as a French toast topping – because French toast is always on my mind lately – So last night I made my French toast mixture and let the bread soak overnight – a little tip from a fellow Instagram follower – I held off on the pistachios, but then this morning I decided to add them to the mixture, making sure they all stuck to the bread, like ants on a chocolate bar. The best idea I have come up with yet. It gave the French toast a nice crunchy texture and made it so flavourful. I then topped it off with more crushed pistachios and also some sweet spreads, chocolate brownie Coconutter because I am obsessed with this, as much as I am with French toast.
- 2 slices of wholemeal bread (any bread will suffice)
- 2 Free range egg whites
- ½ Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
- 80-100ml Semi- skimmed milk or almond milk
- ¼ cup Crushed Pistachios
- 1 tsp Coconut oil
- Separate the yolks from the eggs and combine with the milk and protein powder. It doesn’t matter if you have lumps from the protein powder, just mix it in as best, as you can. Next place the pistachios in a food processor and blend until they resemble the size of gravel (not powder) Add just over half of the ground pistachios into the egg mixture and pour all over the bread, making sure you get as much of the mixture onto the slices as possible. Cover the container with foil and place in the fridge until the morning, trust me it will make a difference.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan or cast-iron pan with half of the coconut oil, making sure you keep the heat on medium. Gently place the soaked bread into the pan and cook each side for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Use the leftover pistachios to top off the French toast and you’re nearly done. You can either eat it plain, however; it will be quite dry or you can add honey, chocolate sauce, caramel; it is up to you.
Enjoy and if you do make any of my recipes be sure to tag me on Instagram: Happy.Hungry.Healthy. Hashtag: #TheHungryWelshGirl. I would really love to see what you create.
The Hungry Welsh Girl