Have you ever had to cook for a group of people or that special someone, but you don’t know what to cook. You don’t want the meal to be too formal – more casual and relaxed – and you don’t want it to be too stodgy and have it sit in your stomach all night.
Your answer: Loaded butternut squash fries. I got the inspiration from loaded nachos. But my recipe is more of a meal than a snack, it’s more filling and a lot healthier, plus; it’s not going to sit in your stomach all night and make you feel uncomfortable. Also, you can sit and share it, which makes the whole thing a little romantic. Wouldn’t you agree? 😉
Yield – 1-2
- 500g – Butternut Squash
- 50g – Diced Red Onion
- 40g – Low Fat Mature or Extra Mature Cheddar ( or cheese of choice)
- 2 Quorn Sausages ( or pork, chicken)
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil or low-fat spray.
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes
- Garlic Mayo (Optional)
- Sriracha Sauce (Optional)
- Chop, peel and cut your butternut into chips (thick fries) and place them in a saucepan to boil. When the pan starts to bubble, time it for 3 minutes and drain the water. Following that, add the salt and olive oil to the butternut chips and place the chips on a baking tray for 25-30 minutes at 200c
NB: Butternut obviously doesn’t have starch like potato so they won’t crisp like potato chips. However; if you want crispy butternut chips then you could cover them in semolina.
- Now that your chips are in the oven you can prepare the toppings.
- Peel and finely chop the red onion and dice the sausages.
- Add the diced sausage to a pan and cook until crisp, you can use oil for this or dry fry. Next add the red onion and cook it enough to take the heat out of them, you still want them to be crunchy.
- When the butternut squash chips are cooked. Layer the plate: Butternut chips, sausage, red onion, chilli flakes, chives, grated cheese, Butternut squash, sausage, etc. And top off with the garlic mayo and hot chilli sauce.
There is so much you can do with this dish. If you like the extra heat then you could add chopped chillies instead of the chilli flakes; bacon bits, salsa, guacamole. Make a party on your plate and enjoy it.
You can find me on Instagram @Happy.Hungry.Healthy for more vegetarian/ pescatarian inspiration or if you make any of my recipes, tag me #TheHungryWelshGirl. I would love to see your creations.
The Hungry Welsh Girl.