Halloween is just around the corner and I have conjured up some scabtastic, crispy avocado Frankenstein fingers just in time for those Halloween parties – dipped in tomato sauce, you will never know the difference 😉 OK. Obviously you will because the Frankenstein fingers are bloody delicious, even Frankenstein himself would be impressed.
It has taken me a long time to appreciate the taste of avocado: it has always been one of those foods that I have always wanted to like because of it’s health benefits and healthy fats, but the taste and texture is just too overpowering for me. I think it’s the soft, slimy texture of the avocado that sends my gag reflexes into overdrive. I know. I know. It’s not very classy of me, but I have tried adding avocado to most food and I always end up resenting myself for it.
I was first introduced to avocado fries by my sister at the beginning of the year: she had tried them on a trip to paris. I wasn’t sure about them when she first offered one to me: the slimy texture still haunted me from my previous attempts of the fatty fruit, but she assured me that I would love them. Against my better judgement I attempted one of the green fingers she was trying to entice me with, all the while sceptical. Although, lo and behold, as much as I hate to admit it, she was right. I was pleasantly surprised – they were delicious and the crunchy texture from the breadcrumbs detracted from the slimy-ness of the avocado, making it an absolute joy to eat. However, It wasn’t until lunchtime today that I actually made a batch of avocado fries myself: I woke up with a craving for some crunchy fingers, dipped in hot tomato sauce and I just so happened to have bought two avocados last week – it was almost fate.
I knew I wanted my avocado fries to have plenty of flavour, with just a hint of avocado sneaking through and I needed them to have the crispiest coat an avocado had ever been encrusted in and I think I succeeded. Actually, I know I succeeded because these fingers were better than delicious, they were all kinds of moreish and it was one of those rare moments in my life, where I actually wanted to pat myself on the back because boys and girls…I had created a monster – make that a delicious monster: crispy avocado Frankenstein fingers. Had I not been lazy, I would have definitely made myself a second batch, which I think makes it’s safe to say that I have finally found a way to appreciate avocados and after you try these Frankenstein fingers, you will too.
- 1 Large Avocado
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Cornflakes
- 1 Slice of Wholemeal Bread
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Coriander Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Egg White
- Salt to taste
- Add the bread to a processor and blend until you ave breadcrumbs.
- Next, slice your avocado in half lengthways and gently scoop out the flesh with a spoon – cover the avocados in lemon juice to stop them from oxidising and proceed to slice the avocados into long fingers.
- Crush the cornflakes with your hands, just to make them a bit smaller; add in the garlic, coriander and chilli.
- Separate the yolk from the egg white, add the salt to the white and whisk it for a few seconds, before dipping an avocado finger into the egg white, then into the breadcrumbs, and finally into the cornflakes – make sure the finger is coated evenly, then place it onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and proceed with the method until all avocado fingers have been coated.
- Now pop the Frankenstein fingers into the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Serve with some spicy ketchup and enjoy! I assure you, that they will blow your mind!
For more recipes, reviews and ideas, follow me on Instagram