The weather hasn’t been the best here in Wales lately and the only thing I’ve wanted to do is cwtch up in bed, with a hot bowl of soup and crusty bread to dip. That’s usually an image you imagine with winter or autumn, but not with the Great British climate, we get to do this all year around or at least that’s how it feels.
When I first started to teach myself how to cook I was always daunted by the prospect of making soup. I thought it would be hard to make a decent soup, that didn’t end up tasting like dirty dishwater. But, the reality is that soup is probably one of the easiest dishes to make and it’s also delicious and nutritious too. I love it and this soup didn’t disappoint either. It was creamy from the coconut milk, spicy from the chilli’s and 100% delicious.
- 1 Large Butternut Squash
- 2 Medium White Onion
- 200g Red Lentils
- 400ml Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 2 Tsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 Tsp Chopped Garlic
- 2 Vegetable Stock Cubes
- 1000ml Water
- Salt to Taste
- Peel and roughly chop your vegetables and garlic, then place them into a large saucepan with the stock cubes and water.
- Boil the lentils in a separate pot as they thicken the soup too quickly.
Bring the saucepan with the vegetables to a boil for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat and leave to simmer for a further 40 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the lentils from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- After 40 minutes, check the butternut squash is soft, stir in the coconut milk and spices, and lastly blend the soup into your desired consistency with a hand blender. If you are using a food processor leave the soup cool completely before blending. But whichever option you choose – BE CAREFUL! Hot soup on your hands feels like lava – trust me!
- You can serve the soup with a crusty, buttered roll, croutons and a swirl of coconut cream and pumpkin seeds.
For more recipes and ideas follow me on Instagram and tag me in any recipes you try. I would love to see your creations #TheHungryWelshGirl.