As someone who works out 5 days a week, while also trying to eat in a calorie surplus: to gain muscle and strength. It can be hard not to get lazy and solely rely on protein powder, when it comes to a post-workout meal (lunch). Which is why I like to keep a tub of this chickpea may-o in my fridge, for those times when I’m hangry and need food fast.
Thankfully, I’m one of those weirdos, who loves chickpeas. I didn’t start eating them until my mid-twenties. But now they are one of my main sources of protein. I just love coming up with new ways to incorporate chickpeas into my meals and what better way, than to eat them in a sandwich for an even bigger protein hit. I also like to spread this on toast, for a quick breakfast, but it can also be used as a baked potato filler too.
Makes 4-6 Servings
- 2 Can of Chickpeas (Drained)
- 120g Vegan Mayo
- 4 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 Inch Red Chilli Pepper or Jalapenos
- 60g Gherkins/Dill Pickles
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Dill
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 2 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt or Black Salt
- 1/4 Tsp White Pepper – Black will also work fine
Drain the chickpeas and pat dry with a tea towel, or kitchen paper. You want to remove as much moisture from the chickpeas, as possible. Do the same for the gherkins too.
I find the easiest way to mash up chickpeas, is by pulsing them in a food processor – it makes life much easier. However, if you don’t have a food processor, then using a fork will suffice; you will just need some good ole elbow grease and a lot of stamina.
NB: If using a food processor, try not to chop them up too much, otherwise the end result will be quite sloppy and wont hold in a sandwich very well.
Finely chop the chilli and gherkins.
Place the chopped chickpeas into a bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients.
Now all that’s left, is to slather the chickpea may-o between two slices of your favourite bread and devour.
- If you want your chickpea may-o to taste like egg, then black salt will help with that.
- I find all food tastes better 24 hours after being made, so if you want the flavours to be more intense, then make the sandwich filling before you plan to eat it.
- Chickpeas can be replaced for tofu.
- Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- Add salt to your own taste.
© The Hungry Welsh Girl 2017
All photos, recipes and texts are copyrighted unless otherwise stated.
All Rights Reserved.