I love making fruit crumbles, it’s always my preferred method to use up any fruit that I have hanging around the house and now that I have rhubarb going crazy in my garden every year, it has quickly become my fruit of choice to use in a crumble.
I just find that crumbles are fast and easy to make, they don’t require any prep like a pie and they can be thrown together in a relatively short space of time and served up with custard or ice cream within the hour.
- 1kg Fresh Rhubarb
- 500g Strawberries
- 350g Caster Sugar
- 4 Tbsp Cornflour or Plain Flour
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a saucepan place the sugar and rhubarb and bring to a boil for 10 minutes on a high heat.
- Reduce the heat and leave the rhubarb to simmer until is has softened.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool, then stir in the cornflour, vanilla and chopped strawberries.
- Pour the fruit mixture into an ovenproof dish.
Ingredients: Almond & Oat Crumble Topping
- 150g Oats
- 100g Cold Butter or Margarine
- 75g Skinless Chopped Almonds or Flaked Almonds
- 75g Caster Sugar
- Add the almonds to a blender and process until you have small chunks. Now add all of the ingredients into a bowl and using a fork, mash everything together until it resembles breadcrumbs
- Scatter the almond and oat crumble topping evenly on top of the rhubarb and strawberries, that should already be in an ovenproof dish and bake until the crumble is golden brown at 180c (fan assisted)
© The Hungry Welsh Girl 2020
All photos, recipes and texts are copyrighted unless otherwise stated. All Rights Reserved